Monday, February 15, 2010

Disrupting Class Reflection #2

This article was interesting and insightful and made me ponder on aspect of my teaching style and that of whom I have studied under. There is no doubt that there are many wrong ways to go about teaching, many ancient, out of date ways to get the point across. The problem with these approaches is that the point is lost in translation.

I learned many things in this article; one I found interesting is that the author states we learn genetically and from our experience from early years. This is interesting in that scientist have a debate over which is more important nature vs. nurture. Another point I found interesting and learned was that 1/3 of a budget goes to special education. Though this is important I can not see the justification of giving so much money to one program when the majority of students are not in the special education program. Lastly, I learned that there are eight distinct types of intelligence. I find this fascinating; to understand that there are so many ways people think and comprehend is riveting.

Two aspects of this article that I disagreed with was the premise that if a teacher has 120 students that he or she would have little time. Currently I am teaching classes with 35 plus kids so I am looking at 180 students. Second idea I would disagree with would be using computer based learning more than teacher based learning. Though computer based is important and should be done we should make sure that there is plenty of time for students to interact with peers and the teacher.

One aspect of the article that I want to learn more is the eight type of intelligence. I find this fascinating, to figure out the different types of intelligence of each student in my class would make teaching that much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment